Dog Park Rules and Requirements
REQUIREMENTS FOR USE OF HAMMERTIME UNLEASHED DOG AREA:
- Must purchase a yearly dog tag from the Boone County Conservation District. Tags may be purchased online here or at the
Roger D. Gustafson Nature Center, 603 N. Appleton Rd., Belvidere. To find out more, you can call (815) 547-
7935 or visit our website at www.boonecountyconservationdistrict.org
- To obtain a dog park tag, all dogs must have proof of a current (up-to-date) rabies tag.
- Dogs should be current on all their shots, especially kennel cough, distemper, parovirus and a yearly fecal exam.
- Male dogs using the site MUST be neutered.
- Female dogs are not allowed inside the area when they are in heat.
- It is important to understand that all dogs do not necessarily like each other. It is good to research methods to help
you understand dog socialization. Some dogs do growl when they play.
- It is each owner’s responsibility to monitor their dog’s behavior. If your dog is aggressive toward another dog you
must leash your dog and move to another area at the site. If the dog is still aggressive you will need to leave. Take
your dog for additional socialization and training. You will certainly be welcome after training.
RULES FOR SUCCESS AT THE HAMMERTIME UNLEASHED DOG AREA:
- Absolutely no food is allowed to be brought into the dog park area. This also includes dog treats. All dogs have
great sniffers and can get aggressive when food is even in a pocket.
- A BCCD dog tag and rabies tag must be worn and visible when using this area.
- Dogs must be supervised at all times.
- Owners must carry a leash and a cleanup bag at all times. You are required to immediately pick up after your
dog(s). If you see a missed pile it is a good service to help keep the area clean.
- Monitor your dog’s behavior! If it is aggressive take care of it before it escalates.
- For their protection, children under the age of 10 must observe from outside the off leash area.
- Smoking and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Hammertime Unleashed is open from sunrise to sunset.
- You may use the windmill water area for your dog, but realize that not everyone wants their dog to get wet. Please
be courteous and close the gate when you enter the water area of the site.
- You must leash your dog(s) from the parking lot until you get inside the gate. Likewise when you leave, put the
leash on the dog before you exit. Don’t assume your dog can be seen. Have your dog under control.
This site has been developed to give dog owners a place where your dog can run free. Even though you may want to bring a toy, such as a ball or Frisbee, be aware that dogs can be possessive. You might have to wait to play ball until there are fewer dogs, or be aware that another dog could take it. Dogs consider it an open invitation! Please use common sense.
If you open a gate, please close it behind you!
Boone County Conservation District reserves the right to refuse membership or entrance to this site.
Dogs are welcome to accompany you at any of the other BCCD areas as long as they are leashed and under control at all times. You must assume the responsibility to clean up after your dog(s).
Please click on the link below:
To report an emergency call 9-1-1.
Report maintenance issues by calling the BCCD at (815) 547-7935.
Thank you for enjoying this site safely!