Dog Park Rules and Requirements
Requirements for use of dog area:
- You must purchase a yearly dog tag from the Boone County Conservation District. Tags may be purchased at the Roger D. Gustafson Nature Center, 603 N. Appleton Rd., Belvidere.
- To obtain a dog tag, you must show proof of a current rabies tag.
- Dogs using the dog park facility should be current on all their shots, especially kennel cough, distemper, parovirus and a yearly fecal exam.
- Male dogs using the site must be neutered.
- Female dogs are not allowed inside the area when they are in season.
- It is important to understand that all dogs do not necessarily like each other. It is good to research methods to help you to understand dog socialization. Some dogs do growl when they play.
- It is each owner’s responsibility to monitor their dog’s behavior. If your dog is aggressive toward another dog you must leash your dog and move to another area of the site. If the dog is still aggressive you will need to leave. Take your dog for additional socializing and training. You will certainly be welcome after training.
Rules for success:
- Do not bring in any type of food. This includes treats. All dogs have great sniffers and may be aggressive when food is even in a pocket.
- A BCCD dog tag and current rabies tag must be worn and visible when using the dog area.
- Dogs must be supervised at all times.
- Owners must carry a leash and a clean-up bag at all times. You are required to immediately pick up after your dog(s). If you see a missed pile it is a good service to help keep the area clean.
- Monitor your dog’s behavior. If it is aggressive take care of the situation before it escalates.
- To protect our children, any child under 10 must observe from outside the off-leash area.
- Smoking and the consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Hammertime Unleashed is open from sunrise to sunset.
- You may use the windmill water area for your dog, but realize that not everyone wants their dog to get wet. Please e courteous and close the gate when you enter the water area of the site.
- You must leash your dog(s) from the parking lot until you get inside the gate. Likewise, when you leave, put the leash on the dog before you exit. Don’t assume that your dog can be seen. Please have your dog under control.
This site has been developed to give dog owners a place where you dog can run free. Even though you may want to bring a toy such as a ball or Frisbee, be aware that dogs can be possessive. You might have to wait to play ball until there are fewer dogs, or be aware that another dog could take it. Dogs consider it an open invitation! Please use some common sense.
IF YOU OPEN A GATE, PLEASE CLOSE IT BEHIND YOU!
The Boone County Conservation District reserves the right to refuse membership or entrance to this site.
Dogs are welcome to accompany you at any of the other BCCD sites as long as they are leashed and under control at all times. You must assume the responsibility to clean up after your dog(s).
Please be careful and enjoy this off-leash dog area.
To report an emergency please call 911.