The Boone County Conservation Districts prescribed burn season takes place in the Spring and Fall.
The Fall burn season starts November 1st and continues until the snow sticks or the temperatures are too cold for the water pumps used to control the fire. This can be as late as Christmas in some years.
2019-2020 Potential Prescribed Fires
- Ballard Farm Conservation Area
- Distillery Conservation Area
- Edwards Park and Conservation Area
- Kinnikinnick Creek Conservation Area
- Kishwaukee Valley Conservation Area
- LIB Conservation Area
- Newburg Village Conservation Area
- Piscasaw Fen Conservation Area
- Spencer Conservation Area
- Tuttle Clarkson Natural Area
The spring burn season can start as early as March 1st and ends by April 20th. These dates will depend greatly on: when the snow disappears, temperatures stay above freezing during the day, when vegetation start to green, and when wildlife becomes active.
Photos submitted by: Deborah Irving